Monday 21 October 2013

Our Wedding: Casablanca by Blue by Enzoani Wedding Dress

I will admit that I never had a "This is my dress" mental moment like they show on TV. When I saw myself in the mirror, I did think that I had never known that a dress could make me look like that. I did think that Tim would love it and that it was perfect for the vibe we were going for with our wedding. But I didn't have a crying-as-I-stared-in-the-mirror moment. Blaire did and my mother-in-law Wendy did. But I have absolutely zero regrets. I loved the dress, which is the Casablanca model by Blue by Enzoani.

I bought my dress at the first salon I went to. It was even the first dress I tried on. When I called Antoinette's Bridal Boutique to set up an appointment, I talked to Sevda, who I believe is the owner. I told her that we were having a barn wedding and that I wanted lace. That Tim had told me no poufiness and that I wanted something romantic. Almost right away she said that she thought she had the right dress. That she would have to see me first to know, but that she was pretty sure. When I walked through the doors of the salon the morning of my apointment and introduced myself, she said that she was right - she had my dress. Sure enough, she pulled the Casablanca, which was what I wound up buying. 

It wasn't originally what I thought I wanted - I was sure I wanted straps of some kind, maybe backless. But although I tried on nine dresses, none of the other ones fit as well or was as flattering. Plus I fit the size 6 in the Casablanca perfectly. Well, almost perfectly. I could have used a little butt padding. I blame my flat butt on my Dad, though. I bought the dress that day and cancelled all the other salon appointments I had set up. I will admit it was  a pain to wear. There's a photo in here of Sarah helping me up off the couch. The inner sheath of the dress is very tight, I'm guessing to keep the silhouette of the dress. But it doesn't allow for deep bending. Putting on shoes, picking things up, sitting too deeply - none of that was really possible. I could sit, but it had to be on the edge of the chair. Bonus points, though: I went to the bathroom by myself all night in this dress. Leave me your e-mail address below if you've bought yourself a similar dress and want to know how!

Sarah did an amazing job doing up my dress. I did send her a link to a Youtube how-to video, I'm hoping it helped somewhat. It definitely was not a quick process. 




Lots more photos after the jump!
























6 comments:

  1. You looked stunning in your dress. I have purchased the same dress for my August 2014 wedding. I would love to hear how you "went to the bathroom by myself all night in this dress. Leave me your e-mail address below if you've bought yourself a similar dress and want to know how!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia - congratulations on your dress! I've messaged you privately on Google hangouts. Check it out for my tips about how to not make your maid of honour hate you throughout the evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura

    Thank you! Can you tell me how you bustled your dress? I am trying to decide and having a hard time. 6 weeks till the big day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The seamstress at the bridal boutique did mine, it was a button behind my knees with a loop on the underskirt that attached. It lasted about a half hour before someone stepped on an edge and the loop broke. Notably, I can't blame the seamstress because I don't think I've been to a single wedding (and we've had two back to back years of eight weddings each) where the bustle has held up to vigorous dancing.

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura!
    I am wearing the same dress in two weeks and I have NO idea of how I will go to the bathroom...would love to hear your secret!

    Thanks!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm wearing the same dress for my upcoming wedding and I was hoping you could share your bathroom trick with me? That's definitely something I was concerned about, so any tips would be helpful :)

    Thanks!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete