Tuesday 13 August 2013

Market morning (plus Chasing the Cheese)!

Saturday morning I was so glad that Tim and I took it easy Friday night. We got up decently early and made it to the market, then to Chasing the Cheese! 


At the market we got pierogies from Taste of Russia - again, we ate them before we got out of the market. So they didn't make it into the market haul shot. We found the squash blossoms right before Taste of Russia at C. Bruni and Sons Farms and were chatting with the vendor about wanting pierogies. Lo and behold, C. Bruni and Sons provides the potatoes for Taste of Russia's pierogies! It was neat to make that local farm connection, and made me even more impressed with Taste of Russia. You could really tell that the woman at C. Bruni and Sons loved that we loved the pierogies. There was a lot of well-deserved pride there.

Sad story regarding the squash blossoms, though. I bought them on Saturday expecting to make ricotta-stuffed squash blossoms on Sunday, since we had my friends Carley and Pete's wedding to go to Saturday evening. I put them in water, expecting them to be like any flowers, but by Sunday morning they were a wilted, glued together mess. I had to sulk a little before throwing them out. Oh well, lesson learned. I either need to find a better way to store them, or make them same day.

The assorted plums are from Eadie Fresh Fruit. We were already eyeing the fruit there from about twenty feet away and the one gentleman must have had eagle eyes for a likely sale. He called us in like a veteran car salesman. It was great for us, though, because those purple oblong plums are absolutely amazing. We bought the corn, tomatoes, and ground cherries all from McLean's Berry Farm


We also found these ADORABLE currant tomatoes at McLean's. Don't be fooled - the tomatoes to the left are not roma tomatoes. Those are grape tomatoes. The ones we would think of as small. These currant tomatoes are teeny-tiny!! Probably a centimetre or less across. I love them! I've e-mailed McLean's to see if I can source these for the pasta salad for the wedding. Not having to cut the tomatoes would be amazing. If I can get the tomatoes there, I'll get the fruit for the trifles there as well.




After the market, we popped over to see Julie at Chasing the Cheese to figure out the smoked cheese for the pasta salad for the wedding. Chasing the Cheese is doing all of the cheeses for our wine and cheese hour at the wedding and they've been above and beyond fantastic to work with. Plus that shop is one of my most happy places in Peterborough. Oh, the cheese!!


Cheese-cheese-cheese-cheese!


Next time I'm in I want to pick up one of their apple ciders. 


We picked out the Bothwell Smoked Cheddar for the pasta salad, but I also bought a $10 cheese "grab bag". I managed to find one that had three cheeses Tim and I have not tried yet, plus it has three cow's cheeses. While I LOVE really funky, goaty cheeses (try the Grey Owl when you stop in, it's my favourite!!), Tim prefers more main-stream choices. I justified the cheese purchasing by needing to clean out the cheese-related jellies and condiments from our fridge before we move. Tim just shakes his head. I'm a sucker for cheese. I forgot to grab baguette, though, so I need to do that on my way home from work tonight.


I also picked up a Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale by Bruce Cost because Wendy had bought some for Dean last time we were in. This stuff is incredible!! I would drink this every single day if I could. I love ginger, but this isn't a ginger beer - it doesn't punch you in the face with the ginger flavour. It is much stronger than regular ginger ale, though, with a good sweetness and spiciness to it. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment