Wednesday 31 July 2013

Wedding Project: Guest Book

While trolling through Pinterest just after getting engaged, I found multiple Pins of photo guest books done with the engagement pictures. (Just search 'Photo Guest Book' and you'll get tons.)







I also found a Pin for a company called Artifact Uprising, who sells the most beautiful cloth-covered photo books. You can check out their website at www.artifactuprising.com. I fell in love with their products. I knew I wanted one for our guest book for the wedding. I can just see creating these for all the big moments in our lives - the engagement photos, the wedding, vacations, babies!


A promo shot from Artifact Uprising's website of the same photo book Tim and I have ordered.

It helped that our photo package from our wonderful photographer, Charlotte Clements, had engagement photos included. It didn't help that Tim and I are crazily busy ALL THE TIME. And somehow it worked out that on the odd days that we weren't busy, the weather was just crap. That made photos a no go, since we knew we wanted to do them outside. I had High Falls stuck in my mind as a site for photos. It's gorgeous, it's where Tim first told me he loved me, and we even have photos of Tim's grandfather at High Falls with friends after World War II. When we were having such trouble scheduling it, Tim actually suggested we just do the photos at Jackson Park in Peterborough. Jackson Park is a beautiful spot, but so many people do their photos there and it just didn't really have any particular significance to it for us. 
 Tim and I just at the beginning of the trail to High Falls

We finally managed to schedule our engagement shoot for July 21st and everything was perfect, including the weather. We managed to come out of a crazy heat wave that would have made it impossible just a few days before the shoot. We should have warned Charlotte a bit better . . . It's a 6 km hike. And a bit of an up and down one. And Tim forgot the bug spray in the car. Eeek! She was amazing, though. Lugged her gear around like the pro she is, just sweating buckets. Luckily the bugs weren't too bad. 

We had amazing light at this point, overlooking a small lake/bend in the river.

We found some great spots to shoot - a low lying area of ferns next to the river, a rocky outcrop overlooking a small lake, multiple spots at the falls. Charlotte was really great at giving direction without sounding bossy, and I LOVE how a lot of the shots turned out. It was great to get the engagement shots done, because Tim and I got to have a really honest conversation about which shots we loved, which ones we thought weren't flattering, and which poses we thought looked unnatural. We both have specific things we're self-conscious of and now we know what to avoid doing in the photos to not have those things be front and centre. Like my weirdly crowded lower teeth, or when Tim pulls his head back and gives himself a double chin. 

Actually in the falls - the water was so refreshing after the hike in!

Charlotte had the photos back to us yesterday, nine days after the shoot. I think it was a really good turnaround, especially considering she gave us a disc with almost 200 photos, at least half of which were edits. As soon as I got home from work, Tim and I picked out our favourites, then I arranged them into Artifact Uprising's online photo book creator. The upload time was fast and the editor was pretty easy to use. Only a couple of improvements I'd like to see: some indicator showing whether the photo is already in the book and some tools to automatically align elements like text and photos. It took me about five hours total to arrange the book and put in some text. Tim finished off his areas of text this morning, then we submitted the order! 

It wouldn't be a hiking trip for Tim and I if we didn't take food and drinks. We also had a full cheese course with cheeses from Chasing the Cheese in Peterborough, arugula, crostini, and some preserves.

I really, really hope we get it in time for the wedding - we're really down to the wire now. It says they have an eight work day processing time and then a possible five day shipping time. If it takes the max, we'll only get it four days before the wedding. Fingers crossed!

If you want to check out Charlotte's photography, her website is http://www.cfcpix.com/. I really recommend her.

**UPDATE** It took the full eight business days to be processed. Now we'll see whether they are within the five day shipping estimate. I'm cutting it close!

No comments:

Post a Comment